Friday, August 19, 2011

Close-in fielders need not apply

I've complained so often about the lack of close-in fielders for Indian spinners in recent times that I'm going to sound like a stuck record, but what the heck, here we go again. The fields set for Amit Mishra are utter shite. And MS Dhoni has to be the most defensive Indian captain I have ever seen in this regard. Someone shoot me please: no close-in fielders for a batsman, in his nineties, facing a leg-spinner?

PS: That post linked to above is from Different Strokes but I've mounted this complaint before on Eye on Cricket. I'm just too lazy to find the posts in question. Mea culpa.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Vaibhav Sharma said...

Indian players cannot stand as close in fielders. I mean what if they get hit on the face. they would look so ugly in their endorsements. Its beetter to let pietersen score a century than lose out on an advertisemant.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Satadru Sen said...

Three individuals need to face the music at the end of this tour: Dhoni, Fletcher and Srikkanth. Quite apart from the on-field tactics, selection has been bizarre and utterly unimaginative. Varun Aaron is from Dhoni's home state, after all. The guy bowls genuinely fast. Yet we stick with the tired old formula and fall back on RP Singh. Mukund got a hundred in a tour game, whereas Sehwag got a king pair in the last Test. And, of course, Mukund is the one cooling his heels.

By the way, I could be wrong on this, but apparently Gavaskar and Shastri, those shameless pros (and I don't mean 'professionals'), have refused to touch the selection issue in spite of being prodded by Nasser Hussain. Oh well. We are like that only.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home